Why The Undisciplined Die
Making more rural sales is pretty simple based on a few key principles:
- Position your product or service as valuable, useful and different (so you don’t have to compete on price)
- Give more than you get by serving before selling (committing to create compelling content)
- Qualify your prospects properly so you don’t waste their time or yours (ideal customer profiles)
- Persistently follow up so your pipeline always has a pulse with many leads and options (so you’re not needy in your negotiations)
- Study sales and psychology as a life-long student (learn why people do what they do)
The problem is most of us aren’t that disciplined.
Whilst these steps are simple they aren’t easy, because it requires commitment.
Instead, most rural reps I meet choose easy street or cruise in comfort hoping lady luck will shine her light on them.
They do enough to get by and keep their jobs but stay in the middle mediocre lane.
Hope has never been a strategy and luck has nothing to do with it.
It’s all about action because you know deep down you make your own luck in this life.
Here’s the best advice I can give you as a rural business owner, rural sales manager or front line rural sales rep:
If you want to be successful you need to be willing to do what others aren’t.
That means committing to publishing credible and compelling content.
It means identifying and mapping your ideal customer so you spend more time speaking to the right prospects rather than the wrong ones.
And it means making time to study sales so you become better and more skilled at it than those that don’t.
When they’re driving across the country listening to talk-back radio you’ve already downloaded the podcast episodes you want to listen to our your trip the night before.
Jim Rohn said:
“You either suffer the pains of discipline or you’ll suffer the pains of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tonnes.”
Simply put, you get out what you put in.
So if you decide to commit to the discipline of doing what others don’t, you will make more sales.
I can guarantee that.
I am on a mission to help rural sales and marketing professionals get the results they deserve. Please make sure you Follow Me on LinkedIn so you don’t miss out on my articles.
And if you want to talk, grab yourself your own free 45-minute coaching call here